Sep 10, 2008

Wireless LAN Power Management Extension for ns-2


Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11) power management extension. (Website)
This supports legacy power save functions defined with IEEE 802.11.

Features


  • Supports legacy power management functions defined with IEEE 802.11.

  • Supports PS-Mode AP and STA in infrastructure mode.

  • Supports calculation of power consumption of each nodes.

  • Based on ns-2.33.


How to use
See sample script at: tcl/ex/powersave.tcl

Access point node can be configured with DTIM period by the following command.

$mac_(ap_node) set DTIMPeriod_ 1
STA node can be configured as PS-Mode by the following command.

$mac_(sta_node) set isPowerSave_ true
To setup the power configuration, use $ns node-config parameters like as:

$ns_ node-config .... \
-txPower 0.660 \
-rxPower 0.395 \
-idlePower 0.035 \
-sleepPower 0.001 \
-initialEnergy 1000
After simulation, you can show the remaining node energy by the following command:

puts [$node_(sta_node) energy]
You can check node behaviors with nam tool.

Authors:

System Platforms Research Laboratories, NEC Corporation.
Makoto Fujinami
Yoshinori Miyamoto
Takuya Murakami

Download files from Project Website.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

can i install these extension on my ns2.29?
if yes,please tell me how to install it

Thanks,
JOHN

Anonymous said...

I think it' a little difficult.
Because We took advantage of 802.11 infrastructure mode introduced from 2.33.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm trying to compare about power consumption on mobile node.I have change
"$mac_(sta_node) set isPowerSave_ false"
but the power remaining is the same as when I set power save to "true".

Please kindly help me check for this problem.

Thanks,

Anonymous said...

I can't specifiy root cause only with your information.

Please check the items below.
1. use ns2.33(not 2.29)
2. set at leaset one access point in your tcl script
3. set default power value in your tcl script (ex $ns_ node-config
-txPower 0.660
-rxPower 0.395
-idlePower 0.035
-sleepPower 0.001
-initialEnergy 1000)

3. please check out /ns-2.33/tcl/ex/802.11/powersave.tcl in our distribution.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can you teach me?
I have the successful implementation of 802.11e project,but not use power saving.
When I change mac-802_11.h,cc and try it on 802.11e with power management.It can't work.
Where I need to add the code?If yes,please teach me.

Thanks,
Matt

Unknown said...

Hi,
Can you teach me?
I have the successful implementation of 802.11e project,but not use power saving.
When I change mac-802_11.h,cc and try it on 802.11e with power management.It can't work.
Where I need to add the code?If yes,please teach me.

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi
I think there is relatively a big difference in power saving function between 11 and 11e.

so, it might not work if you just add our codes to 11e implementation.

it depends on what kind of 11e power saving function you want to implement.

Anonymous said...

HI,
I couldn't find sample script at: tcl/ex/powersave.tcl
can u help me?
best regards,
HninYu

Anonymous said...

Hi,
sample script powersave.tcl is not included in original ns-2 distribution.
please visit our project site:
http://nspme.sourceforge.net/index.html
and you can download our distribution(ns-2.33-pmext-1.0.tar.gz) from sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nspme/

And powersave.tcl is not in tcl/ex directory but in tcl/ex/802.11 directory in our distribution.
please check the directory above.

Pranav said...

Hi,
Can you please guide me reading the trace file generated.

Thanks & Regards
Pranav Agrawal

Pranav said...

Hi,
Can u please tell me, does this PSM mode implementation works with FTP application, if any one have tried this kindly send the tcl script for this..

thanks & Regards
Pranav Agrawal

Kiran Santhosh said...

Hi,
Can you please tell me whether NS2.33 supports Access Point (802.11) simulation?

Thanks & Regards
Kiran (kiran.cabs@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Yes it does. But only 802.11(not11e).

Anonymous said...

can you guide how to install these extensions? and also how to use file .patch
i already install ns2.33 on my labtop.

Anonymous said...

can you please tell me how to increase the number of nodes in powersave.tcl i tried but i am not getting could anyone help me plz

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am new to ns2. I saw Marc Greis tutorial on wired network and i have installed ns-allinone-2.34.

But I dont know how to simulate wireless networks. I have been looking for extensions but could not find them.
Can anyone please help me to install these wireless extensions so that I can simulate 802.11 networks?

Geraint Yang said...

Hi,
I want to know if I can use this patch to ns-2.35.

Thanks,
Yang